Recipe by Maureen in MA
This is an easy, no-bake, lower fat version of Tiramisu which my family has enjoyed for years. It's easy to prepare since store-bought Angel food cake is used. An 8-oz container of Mascarpone cheese may be substituted for cream cheese, if you don't care about calories. The only cooking time involves the optional Mocha Fudge Sauce. I'm also posting this in case I lose my "paper" copy!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened or 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 1 round angel food cake
- 3⁄4 cup strong black coffee
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur
- mocha fudge sauce (recipe follows)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill medium bowl and beaters of an electric mixer.
- For Filling, in large bowl combine cream cheese (or mascarpone), the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and the 3 Tbsp coffee liqueur. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until blended and smooth.
- In the Chilled bowl, combine whipping cream, the 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and 2 Tbsp coffee liqueur. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/2 cup of the whipped cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Use a serrated knife to cut Angel cake into 3 layers. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate. With a long-tined fork or skewers, poke holes in tops of all layers.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and 1/4 cup coffee liqueur. Drizzle over each cake layer. Spread the 1st cake layer with half of the cream cheese filling. Add a second layer and remaining filling. Add third cake layer. Frost with remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Before serving, if desired, drizzle top and sides with Mocha Fudge Sauce.
- Mocha Fudge Sauce:.
- In small saucepan (or microwave), heat 1/4 cup of Fudge Ice Cream topping until just warm. Stir in 1-2 Tbsp coffee liqueur to make of drizzling consistency.