Recipe by M&Mers
This is the BEST recipe I have come across for this dessert! When I made it for Christmas one year, I almost didn't get any cause I was serving and people were coming back for seconds!
Top Review by penny smiles
I made this for supper club and it was a big hit. I made it using the ricotta cheese because I was unable to find mascarpone. I think the texture would be better with the mascarpone but the taste was wonderful. I used more Kahlua than the recipe called for but other than that I made it according to the recipe.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Kahlua
- 1⁄3 cup regular-strength coffee
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese (or ricotta)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup extra-strong coffee
- 26 giant italian ladyfingers
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated finely
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup EACH of the Kahlua and regular strength coffee.
- Transfer to double boiler over gently simmering water and whisk constantly for about 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Let cool.
- Beat cheese until smooth (if using ricotta cheese, finished product won't be as smooth and creamy but just as delicious).
- Fold in egg mixture.
- Whip cream, then stir one-quarter of it into egg mixture.
- Fold in remaining cream.
- Combine remaining Kahlua, regular coffee and extra-strength coffee.
- Arrange half of the lady fingers in a 9 by 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Brush with half of the coffee mixture.
- Spread with half of the cream mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with grated chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.