7 hrs 40 mins
1 hr 40 mins
awesome italian dessert
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
For the syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or 2 teaspoons instant coffee
For the filling
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur or 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa
- chocolate curls
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Lightly grease the bottom of a 9 inch round cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
- 3Lightly grease the paper and sides of the pan and then dust with flour.
- 4To make the cake, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until blended.
- 5In a large bowl, using a mixer on medium high speed, beat the eggs until pale and thick, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the sugar and vanilla and continue beating until very thick and tripled in volume, about 3 minutes more.
- 7Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, fold gently until blended.
- 8Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- 9Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly touched, about 30 minutes.
- 10Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- 11Run a small knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake.
- 12Invert onto a cooling rack and lift off the pan.
- 13Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- 14Let the cake cool completely.
- 15To make the syrup, combine the water and the sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves.
- 16Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- 17Stir in the coffee liqueur and espresso powder.
- 18Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- 19To make the filling, in the top of a double boiler, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, coffee liqueur, and espresso powder.
- 20Set over barely simmering water and beat with the mixer set on medium speed until very thick, about 6 minutes.
- 21Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring frequently.
- 22Meanwhile, in a bowl, using the mixer on medium high speed, beat the cream until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.
- 23When the yolk mixture is cooled to room temperature, add the mascarpone and vanilla.
- 24Beat until smooth and well blended.
- 25Using the rubber spatula, fold in the whipped cream.
- 26To assemble, cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- 27Remove the bottom of a nine inch springform pan, close the ring, and set the ring on a flat serving plate.
- 28Place 1 cake layer in the springform ring.
- 29Generously brush and sprinkle with some of the syrup.
- 30Scoop about 1 3/4 cup of the filling onto the layer and spread evenly.
- 31Place another cake layer on top of the filling, pressing gently.
- 32Generously brush and sprinkle with more of the syrup.
- 33Spread about 1 3/4 cups of the filling evenly over this layer.
- 34Place the third cake layer on top, pressing gently, then generously brush with syrup.
- 35Spread the remaining filling to cover the top.
- 36Holding the pan ring and plate together, gently tap against the counter to settle the ingredients.
- 37Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- 38To serve, run a thin knife around the inside of the ring to loosen the cake.
- 39Unclasp and remove the ring.
- 40Garnish with chocolate curls and a dusting of cocoa.
- 41Slice and serve.
- 42Makes one 9 inch cake, or 12-16 servings.
- 43Note: This dessert is a bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort!
- 44After you've made it a couple of times, the process goes much more smoothly and quickly.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tiramisu
Serving Size: 1 (1105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2640.2
- Calories from Fat 833
- Total Fat 92.5 g
- Saturated Fat 43.6 g
- Cholesterol 2267.7 mg
- Sodium 1245.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 343.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 237.4 g
- Protein 57.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: