Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup espresso coffee, cold
- 24 ladyfingers
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- Use Italian lady fingers also called Savoiardi, for the best results.
- You can use any kind of spirits or liqueurs in the dessert (marsala, vin santo, rum, brandy, Tia Maria, Frangelico, Amaretto) be guided by your own tastes.
- If you can't find mascarpone, use 8oz ricotta and double the amount of whipping cream.
- If you don't have an espresso maker, use strong black coffee.
- In a heavy pot, on medium-low heat, whisk together sugar and eggs until frothy.
- Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup marsala and continue to cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Scrape into bowl and reserve.
- Whip cream until it holds its shape.
- With same beaters, whisk mascarpone and lemon rind together until mixture softens.
- Fold in egg/marsala mixture and whipping cream.
- Combine espresso and remaining 2Tb marsala.
- Dip lady fingers into coffee mixture two at a time and soak evenly.
- Place a layer of lady fingers on bottom of 11x7 inch dish.
- Spread with half of the mascarpone creame.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
- Add another layer of soaked lady fingers.
- Top with mascarpone cream and remaining chocolate.