Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 extra-large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup good dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup brewed espresso
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 30 savoiardi lady finger cookies
- bittersweet chocolate
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until very thick and light yellow.
- Lower the speed to medium and add 1/4 cup rum, 1/4 cup espresso, and the mascarpone.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup rum and 1 1/4 cups espresso in a shallow bowl.
- Dip 1 side of each ladyfinger in the espresso/rum mixture and line the bottom of a 9 by 12 by 2-inch dish.
- Pour half the espresso cream mixture evenly on top.
- Dip 1 side of the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso/rum mixture and place them in a second layer in the dish.
- Pour the rest of the espresso cream over the top.
- Smooth the top and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with shaved chocolate and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- *RAWEGG WARNING The American Egg Board states:"There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness.
- Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly.
- Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs.
- Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell?
- "Notes: To make espresso for this recipe in your electric drip coffee maker, use enough water for 4 cups of coffee plus 1/3 cup of ground espresso.