Recipe by Alex MacKenzie
My own version of this Italian classic. In lieu of lady fingers, I make a batter for lady fingers and pour into one round layer ... a sort of lady finger pancake.
Top Review by sheribaby1973
Made Tiramisu for my parents birthdays... to do this review justice I should add that my mom is fantastic cook and very picky...she ate 90% of this dish HERSELF and said, and I quote, "that was THE BEST dessert I have EVER HAD!
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 -6 ounces dark chocolate, finely grated
- 2 -3 Oreo cookies, crumbled
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- 4 ounces Kahlua or 4 ounces coffee liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake layres preheat oven to 400. Whip 4 egg whites till firm peaks form. Add 2 Tbsps. sugar and beat till glossy.
- Add 1/2 Cup sugar to 4 egg yolks and beat till pale.
- Fold 1/2 of egg white mixture into the yolks.
- Sift 1/2 teaspoons baking powder into flour and fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in remainig egg whites. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter onto flat cooky sheets or pans into two round pancake like layres just slightly larger than the intended diameter of the cake (aprox 10").
- Bake 8-9 mins at 400 degrees.
- In a seperate mixing bowl Add 1/3 Cup sugar to 2 egg yolks and beat till pale.
- Add Marscapone and beat till smooth.
- In seperate mixing bowl beat 1 Cup heavy whiping cream till firm and fold gently into yolk mixture.
- In a clean bowl with a clean wisk or mixer beat remaining 2 egg whites until firm peaks form. Add 1 tablespoons sugar and beat till glossy. Fold gently into yolk mixture. Moderate swirling is acceptable (do not over mix).
- In measuring cup combine Irish Cream, Kahlua and 4 oz whipping cream.
- Layre cake as follows from bottom to top. Place one layre of cake on bottom inverted so spongy side is facing up. Trim off 1/4" of crust from edges. Use fork to make several holes to the bottom. Pour half of irish cream mixture into cake. Cover with grated chocolate. Spread 1/2 of cream mixture on top of cake. Sprinkle with finely crushed oreo cookies. Add 2nd cake layre and duplicate steps for the first layre. Cover with grated chocolate. Spread remaining 1/2 of cream mixture on top of cake. Sprinkle with finely crushed oreo cookies and grated chocolate. Place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving. Tiramisu is best if left overnight in refirgerator before serving to allow cake layres to "set" properly.