Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
My own version of this Italian classic. In lieu of lady fingers, I make a batter for lady fingers and pour into one round layer ... a sort of lady finger pancake.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 -6 ounces dark chocolate, finely grated
- 2 -3 Oreo cookies, crumbled
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- 4 ounces Kahlua or 4 ounces coffee liqueur
- For cake layres preheat oven to 400. Whip 4 egg whites till firm peaks form. Add 2 Tbsps. sugar and beat till glossy.
- Add 1/2 Cup sugar to 4 egg yolks and beat till pale.
- Fold 1/2 of egg white mixture into the yolks.
- Sift 1/2 teaspoons baking powder into flour and fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in remainig egg whites. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter onto flat cooky sheets or pans into two round pancake like layres just slightly larger than the intended diameter of the cake (aprox 10").
- Bake 8-9 mins at 400 degrees.
- In a seperate mixing bowl Add 1/3 Cup sugar to 2 egg yolks and beat till pale.
- Add Marscapone and beat till smooth.
- In seperate mixing bowl beat 1 Cup heavy whiping cream till firm and fold gently into yolk mixture.
- In a clean bowl with a clean wisk or mixer beat remaining 2 egg whites until firm peaks form. Add 1 tablespoons sugar and beat till glossy. Fold gently into yolk mixture. Moderate swirling is acceptable (do not over mix).
- In measuring cup combine Irish Cream, Kahlua and 4 oz whipping cream.
- Layre cake as follows from bottom to top. Place one layre of cake on bottom inverted so spongy side is facing up. Trim off 1/4" of crust from edges. Use fork to make several holes to the bottom. Pour half of irish cream mixture into cake. Cover with grated chocolate. Spread 1/2 of cream mixture on top of cake. Sprinkle with finely crushed oreo cookies. Add 2nd cake layre and duplicate steps for the first layre. Cover with grated chocolate. Spread remaining 1/2 of cream mixture on top of cake. Sprinkle with finely crushed oreo cookies and grated chocolate. Place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving. Tiramisu is best if left overnight in refirgerator before serving to allow cake layres to "set" properly.
Made Tiramisu for my parents birthdays... to do this review justice I should add that my mom is fantastic cook and very picky...she ate 90% of this dish HERSELF and said, and I quote, "that was THE BEST dessert I have EVER HAD!