- 500 g mascarpone (an Italian creamy cheese, you can substitute with ricotta, another Italian cheese, for a low-fat ver)
- 4 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1⁄2-1 cup strong coffee
- 300 g ladyfingers or 300 g sponge cakes, cut in squares
- 3 tablespoons brandy (I personally prefer it without spirits) (optional) or 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur (I personally prefer it without spirits) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- beat sugar and egg yolks until white and frothy.
- whisk egg whites until stiff.
- fold mascarpone (or ricotta) into egg mixture.
- add egg whites carefully.
- pour coffee (and brandy or coffee liqueur if using) in a shallow bowl, dip biscuits (or pieces of sponge cake) in it, taking care not to soak them completely, and put them in a square tin (actually I make it in a glass loaf tin) in a single layer.
- cover with the cheese cream and continue layering the ingredients, leaving the cream on top, dust with cocoa.
- cover and refrigerate for a few hours or even overnight so that the biscuits have time to become moist and flavourful.