Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Enjoy a taste of la dolce vita with this classic Italian dessert, made with ladyfingers and coffee. It is lovely served with a cup of espresso. For those who absolutely cannot find mascarpone cheese, 15 oz. whole-milk ricotta, 3 oz. cream cheese, and 1 t. fresh lemon juice processed in a food processor or blender until perfectly smooth can be substituted successfully. Prep time given does not include 2 hours of chilling time. This is a great make-ahead dessert that is guaranteed to wow your guests.
- 1 (3 ounce) package ladyfingers
- 1⁄4 cup very strong brewed coffee, preferably espresso, cold
- 6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- chocolate curls (for garnish)
- Lay out half the ladyfingers on work surface. Brush one side with half the coffee, just coloring tops. Arrange thse ladyfingers in 13x9" glass dish.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes on high speed. Add mascarpone and Cognac and mix just until blended.
- Beat egg whites in second bowl until soft peaks form. Beat cream in third bowl to soft peaks. Using rubber spatula, gently fold cream into egg whites, then fold into mascarpone mixture. Spread half the mixture over ladyfingers in dish.
- Brush remaining ladyfingers with remaining coffee and arrange on mascarpone mixture. Spread with remaining mascarpone. Refrigerate uncovered at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with cocoa powder. Cut into squares, spoon into goblets, and garnish wtih chocolate curls.