Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
("Pick me up or Carry me up")
- 4 egg yolks (seperate the whites)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups espresso coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- as need ladyfinger
- 2 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder
- as needed grated bittersweet chocolate
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk, Discard whites. Make a zabaglione by combining egg yolks, sugar and marsala wine, and a drop of vanilla extract. Cook over a double broiler by whisking till thick.
- Stir in the sugar in the espresso coffee. Let cool completely.
- In another bowl, lighten the mascarpone with heavy cream, Fold in the zabaglione. Do not over mix. Put 1/3 of the mixture in the bottom of a large serving bowl and spread out evenly.
- Dip the lady finger in the coffee, turn it quickly so that it becomes saturated but does not disintegrate, and place on the top of the mascarpone in the bowl. Add more of the dipped ladyfingers, placing them side by side. Letting the sponge fingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart.
- Spoon in about 1/3 of the remaining mixture and spread it out. Make more layers in the same way. Level the surface, add the remainder of the mascarpone mix, and then sift cocoa powder. Cover and chill overnight. (Or freeze for half an hour first, and transfer to a chiller.
- On service, sprinkle grate chocolate for garnish.
I found it hard to get the zabaglione to go as thick as it was supposed to, but the end result tasted delicious anyway :)