1/1 Photo of Tipsy Cake (Trifle) - 1950's
1 hr 20 mins
From a feature of recipes through the ages in our state paper. Times and servings are estimated. What FC calls Jello we call Jelly and it is usually sold in 2 x 9 gram sachets to a packet.
My Private Note
tipsy c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 sponge cake (cut into cubes)
- nip brandy (or 2)
- 680 g sour cherries (morello pitted)
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 4 (9 g) sachets Jello gelatin (jelly or flavoured gelatine, make as per packet instructions)
- 1Place the milk and cream into a bowl and set over simmering water and heat until just on the cusp of boiling.
- 2Meanwhile whisk together eggs, sugar, cornflour and vanilla.
- 3Pour hot milk on to the eggs and whisk well.
- 4Return the bowl to the soft heat of the simmering water and stir constantlyu, but gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5The custard is ready when it has thickened to a smooth, velvety consistency, do not allow it to boil, remove from the heat and place a piece of cling film on the surgace of the custard to stop a skin forming and chill until required.
- 6To assemble the trifle, using a retty bowl (cut crystal for preference) arrange sponge cake in the base and sprinkle with brandy, then top with half the cherries and a thin layer of cream.
- 7Form another thin layer of cake cubes, sprinkle with brandy, then top with jelly and half the custard.
- 8Add to the custard the remaining cherries, another splash of brandy and top with any remaining custard and cream.
- 9Decorate with cubes of cut jelly.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tipsy Cake (Trifle) - 1950's
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 184.4 mg
- Sodium 139.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 31.9 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste