Recipe by Julie B's Hive
If you have a pound cake that is quickly going stale then have I got a recipe for you! Made with brandy and wine this is not your average poke-hole cake, this one is strictly for the big boys. From the Lubec Women's Club and oh what these women cook up when no body's watching!
Top Review by NurseJaney
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #36* Had a small grocery store butter pound cake -- about 10 ounces. Let it sit open for 3 days. Due to size, just used 2 ounces brandy and 4 ounces cream sherry. Added the liquid gradually over 2 hours -- so sorry, this was just too "boozy" for our taste. Had topped with banana curd - but the alcohol was very strong.
- 1 lb stale plain butter pound cake
- 6 ounces brandy
- 12 ounces sherry wine
- 1⁄2 lb blanched almond, halved
- 3 cups your favorite custard
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend wine and brandy together. Make holes in the cake with a skewer and pour liquor over cake. Let is seep through cake. Stick the almonds all over the cake then cover with your favorite custard sauce.
- Let sit in a cool place about 30 minutes before serving.