1/4 Photos of Tips for Better Biscuits
Red Apple Guy's Note:
This isn't so much a recipe as my technique I learned many years ago. I come from a long line of bad-biscuit makers and I was determined to overcome it. In fact, my Mom was famous for her "Don't Go Near The Water Biscuits." The break came when I tried drop biscuits. That was the last time I ever made them because I learned the secret to consistent quality: moisture control. I then learned that fat plays an important but minor role. You can even make okay biscuits without it, but the outside will be crusty and character is lacking....but the type of fat used is not important. I then switched to oil. It's healthier and much easier. But you can cut in shortening or butter if you wish. Below is a variation on just one recipe. Many will work, just increase the liquid. Wet dough in the mixing bowl (similar to drop biscuits) is the real secret.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 450°F.
- 2In large bowl, add flour and make a well in the center for mixing.
- 3Add oil to the well.
- 4Stir the well as you add buttermilk mixing in more and more flour until all the flour is involved and the dough is sticky, gummy and on the verge of being "too wet". You may need less that 1 cup for this.
- 5Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and with flour on your hands make into a very soft dough, sprinkling a little extra self-rising flour over it all as needed until no longer sticky.
- 6Try not to work the dough at all or anymore than necessary for it to be consistent throughout.
- 7Pat out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- 8Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on cookie sheet or greased cast iron skillet.
- 9Bake at 450°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Brush with melted butter.
- 11Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tips for Better Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.2
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 326.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g