One of those busy day "What have I got in the pantry today?" recipes. I wasn't going to be home for most of the day and knew I'd be tired when I got home, so I created this easy to prep pot roast and put it in the crock pot. When I got home the house was filled with a delicious aroma and the meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender. It was a welcome sight after a long day. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 907.18-1360.77 g boneless cross-rib roast
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces (I used a 1/2 package of baby carrots)
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 2.46 ml celery salt
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9.85 ml beef base (or a 14oz can of beef broth)
- 473.18 ml hot water (if using a can of beef broth, the water is not needed)
For Optional Gravy
- 59.16 ml of all-purpose flour stirred into 1/2 cup cold water
- Arrange potatoes, onions and carrots in bottom of crock pot.
- In a small bowl, combine celery salt, oregano, thyme, sea salt & pepper.
- Massage the spices into the roast and place the roast atop the veggies.
- Toss in the bay leaf.
- Pour beef base and water mixture (or beef broth) over the roast and veggies.
- Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on LOW setting for approximately 6-8 hours or until roast and veggies are tender.
- Optional: For gravy you can stir in the flour and water mixture in the last 30 minutes of cooking time and turn the crock pot up to High setting.
- I prefer to remove the meat and veggies from the crock pot and pour the liquid into a saucepan. Bring to a slight boil and slowly pour in flour and water mixture while stirring constantly. Bring to a full boil and cook and stir until it thickens up to your liking. About 3-5 minutes total.