After you taste this you will never go to another so-called "authentic Mexican restaurant" again!! Note, the prep time does not include cooking the shredded meat which can be done a day or more ahead.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chuck roast or 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked pork butt
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo (OR MORE)
- 1 small onion, coarsley chopped
- tomatoes, drained or 1 large tomato, coarsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 large onions, sliced into rings about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sour cream
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In large sauce pan wilt the 5-6 sliced onions in the oil until very soft, but not brown.
- About 10-15 minutes meanwhile in blender add as many chipotle chiles as you dare (when making it for my husband I add the whole can) and add lots of the adobo from the can as it adds tons of flavor but almost no heat.
- To the chiles add the tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic, bullion, and salt blend until smooth.
- Add puree to onions and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded meat (to make the shredded meat I boil a chuck roast, or pork roast for several hours in salted water until very tender and then shred-the chicken I just boil until cooked through and no longer pink, if cooked too long it will become mushy) stir entire mixture and cook until warmed through 1-2 minutes.
- To eat take a tostada and spread with sour cream.
- Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese if desired.
- Add shredded lettuce and top with tinga mixture.
- Serve with several napkins on the side.