1/1 Photo of Tinga (Mexican Dish)
ROBIN PENA's Note:
After you taste this you will never go to another so-called "authentic Mexican restaurant" again!! Note, the prep time does not include cooking the shredded meat which can be done a day or more ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups shredded cooked chuck roast or 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked pork butt
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo (OR MORE)
- 1 small onion, coarsley chopped
- tomatoes, drained or 1 large tomato, coarsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 large onions, sliced into rings about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In large sauce pan wilt the 5-6 sliced onions in the oil until very soft, but not brown.
- 2About 10-15 minutes meanwhile in blender add as many chipotle chiles as you dare (when making it for my husband I add the whole can) and add lots of the adobo from the can as it adds tons of flavor but almost no heat.
- 3To the chiles add the tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic, bullion, and salt blend until smooth.
- 4Add puree to onions and cook about 5 minutes.
- 5Add shredded meat (to make the shredded meat I boil a chuck roast, or pork roast for several hours in salted water until very tender and then shred-the chicken I just boil until cooked through and no longer pink, if cooked too long it will become mushy) stir entire mixture and cook until warmed through 1-2 minutes.
- 6To eat take a tostada and spread with sour cream.
- 7Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese if desired.
- 8Add shredded lettuce and top with tinga mixture.
- 10Serve with several napkins on the side.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tinga (Mexican Dish)
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.0
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 869.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo