Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from one of my grandmother's former co-workers. It is a summer staple; it would be a crime should we not eat it at least once during the year!
- 1 lb hamburger, browned and seasoned
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lettuce head
- 8 ounces cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) box cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (8 ounce) can black olives, sliced in thirds
- 8 ounces thousand island dressing
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (13 ounce) bag Doritos, crushed
- Brown the hamburger with the taco seasoning, saving some of the seasoning for the dressing.
- Mix together the kidney beans, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and olives in a large bowl.
- Whisk together Thousand Island dressing, salsa, seasoning, and sugar in a small plastic storage container.
- Combine the salad and meat.
- Pour the crushed Doritos over the salad.
- When serving, pour the dressing over the salad AFTER it has been put on the plate. Otherwise, the Doritos will get soggy after a while.
We really enjoyed this salad. When tasting the dressing I felt that it was way too sweet, but when we put it all together it really fit in with the ingredients. Made for Spring PAC 2014.