Recipe by TuscanFoodie
Using the microwave and oven saves time for classic onion soup. Microwaving the onions allows them to brown in a few minutes. The cheese crouton saves time under the broiler
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 slices French bread, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave the onions and the 2 T olive oil for up to 10 minutes, until very soft.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan, add onions and quickly brown onions. Add broth and simmer for at least 20 minutes, up to 45 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, cover toast with cheese and place in oven until melted.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place cheese crouton in bowl. Add soup and serve. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.