Using the microwave and oven saves time for classic onion soup. Microwaving the onions allows them to brown in a few minutes. The cheese crouton saves time under the broiler
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Microwave the onions and the 2 T olive oil for up to 10 minutes, until very soft.
- 3Heat 2 T olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan, add onions and quickly brown onions. Add broth and simmer for at least 20 minutes, up to 45 minutes.
- 4While soup is simmering, cover toast with cheese and place in oven until melted.
- 5Season soup with salt, pepper and thyme.
- 6Place cheese crouton in bowl. Add soup and serve. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
- 7For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Time Saving Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.7
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 13.1 mg
- Sodium 993.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 12.6 g