Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Using the microwave and oven saves time for classic onion soup. Microwaving the onions allows them to brown in a few minutes. The cheese crouton saves time under the broiler
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave the onions and the 2 T olive oil for up to 10 minutes, until very soft.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan, add onions and quickly brown onions. Add broth and simmer for at least 20 minutes, up to 45 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, cover toast with cheese and place in oven until melted.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place cheese crouton in bowl. Add soup and serve. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.