Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Old recipe; has no egg, is very moist and rich, and bakes in a loaf pan . This version has a frosting that cooks as cake is cooling. From Tilden Ne. This recipe rocks.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Add melted shortening, vanilla, vinegar, and water.
- Mix well.
- Bake in loaf pan at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes. The cake wasn't altogether cooked for me .frosting to "cook" in turned off oven and not dry out cake.
- While cake is baking, make the frosting.
- Add enough cream to make a paste of the sugar, flour, cocoa and vanilla. Spread frosting on the cake as soon as you take it out of the oven; the frosting cooks as it cools. I put the cake back in the turned off oven for a couple of minutes. Don't leave too long or cake will dry out.