Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was watching Oprah and they have both Tim and Faith's recipes.. Thought I would post to share! I didn't touch a thing! "Tim McGraw made his grandmother's chicken and dumplings for Faith Hill when they were dating! They go perfectly with Faith's cornbread." ---- I guessed at the cooking time -- I will correct asap!---- *** In response to Chef #294686 -- I apologize if there is a mix up. I copied and pasted this recipe as soon as the show aired. They edited the ingredients. It is From the Oprah Show -- I swear it :O) I have updated the ingredients... (Feb.20.06)
- 1 small chicken
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Boil chicken, adding salt to taste. When tender, pull chicken from the bone and return to the broth.
- Pour flour into a bowl - cut the crisco into the flour until crumbly. Arrange flour mixture in the bowl evenly leaving a hole in the middle. Add 1 egg and enough buttermilk to form a doughy consistency (similar to how you would make biscuits).
- Sprinkle flour on cutting board. Pinch off part of the dough and roll into a thin sheet and cut into squares.
- Drop one square at a time into broth. Continue this until all of the dough is used. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer until tender.
- Allow the dumplings to thicken the broth until it is a creamy consistency.
Hi Miss Tiff, I just viewed the video again because I wanted to make this and I wasn't sure what to do with the crisco bc there were no instructions for that ingredient. When I watched it, they didn't mention any egg. They cut the crisco into the flour and then added the buttermilk and mixed until just combined. Then you roll out and cut into squares and put into the broth. It also said to cook for 2 hours until thickened. Not sure if I would cook that long, but that's what it said! I will be making this soon and then will add my rating! Thanks for posting! I wouldn't have known about this otherwise! ~
This is the same recipe I use. Yes, Oprah's site has changed it, but the original is every bit as good as the one she has listed (and hers has one ingredient listed but not used). I have made both, and this is one of the best things I've ever eaten. There is another recipe on this site saying it is Tim's recipe, but it wasn't the one he gave on TV. I am making it again tonight and adding in carrots, which I have never done. I do sometimes add in chicken broth, especially when making an extra large batch. It freezes great, if you ever have any leftover, and I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love this dish.
Thanks for posting this recipe. I made this using chicken broth instead of water. Put a few shakes of salt in the biscuit mix and add some ckicken stock cubes to tthe broth, instead of salt. Also added some carrots, onion and celery in the last 30 minutes.