Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Mom used to go to Church with Tille. She made this casserole for us once, and I've been making it constantly ever since.
- In saucepan, bring water, squash, onion, and salt to boil.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender (20 min.).
- Drain and mash.
- Mix in pepper, 1 tbs. butter, flour, eggs and milk.
- Set aside 3 tbs. cheese, and put rest in squash.
- Pour into buttered dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes.
- Mix 2 tbs. butter with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole and then sprinkle rest of cheese, and bake 5-10 minutes.
Thanks for posting this so that my boyfriend and I could try something different. After reading the previous review I made some changes to the recipe. First, I boiled the squash/onion mixture in some leftover homemade vegetable broth, and used about 1 cup of the liquid. Next, I added a heaping spoonful (don't know exact measurement) of Emeril's Bam seasoning to the squash after cooking. I also added another tablespoon of flour and mixed that together with the wet ingredients before adding to the squash (to avoid flour clumps). In the last 10 minutes, I added a layer of cheese and then crushed saltines. After broiling the saltine crust for about 2 minutes, I added a small layer of crunchy friend onions and finished broiling. Yum!! The mixture did turn out very moist and soft, like a dressing, but it was very good.
Bliss, I'm sorry, but this recipe was only OK. DH & I both agreed it's 3 stars. It was just really ... bland. It had the consistency of a dressing, sort of, .... I think it could use some spices?