Recipe by Julesong
Oregon is well-known for it's delicious Tillamook cheeses! Here's a tasty and easy recipe featuring smoked cheddar from the Tillamook recipe contest in 2001, and submitted by Patty Cheng, Mountain View, California.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (can use Tillamook brand)
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 3⁄4 cup tillamook smoked cheddar cheese, shredded & chilled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (can use Tillamook brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and white pepper.
- Add cold butter pieces and mix until flour mixture has a coarse meal texture.
- Add the bacon, apricots, and smoked cheddar cheese and mix until well-combined.
- On low speed, gradually add the buttermilk and mix until a dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured board and gently knead 8 times.
- Pat or roll out the dough to 1-inch thick, and use a biscuit or cookie cutter to cut the biscuits (re-gathering and re-rolling as necessary to use up the dough).
- Place on a lightly-greased and floured baking sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F on the middle oven rack for 15 minutes and biscuit tops are golden.