Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oregon is well-known for it's delicious Tillamook cheeses! Here's a tasty and easy recipe featuring smoked cheddar from the Tillamook recipe contest in 2001, and submitted by Patty Cheng, Mountain View, California.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (can use Tillamook brand)
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 3⁄4 cup tillamook smoked cheddar cheese, shredded & chilled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (can use Tillamook brand)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and white pepper.
- Add cold butter pieces and mix until flour mixture has a coarse meal texture.
- Add the bacon, apricots, and smoked cheddar cheese and mix until well-combined.
- On low speed, gradually add the buttermilk and mix until a dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured board and gently knead 8 times.
- Pat or roll out the dough to 1-inch thick, and use a biscuit or cookie cutter to cut the biscuits (re-gathering and re-rolling as necessary to use up the dough).
- Place on a lightly-greased and floured baking sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F on the middle oven rack for 15 minutes and biscuit tops are golden.
Very easy to make and tasty. These were also good the next day after being reheated in the microwave for 15 seconds.
We loved these biscuits! They were delicious and good cold, too. Perfect for a breakfast with eggs; I staged the dough, preparing dry ingredients and chilling until just before baking.