Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
2008 Tillamook Macaroni and Cheese Contest, Rhonda Allen - Lake Oswego, Oregon - 2008 Second Runner-Up.Very interesting dish and tastes great! However, have tweaked it a bit. ;)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flake crumbs
- 12 ounces tillamook monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained and patted dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup tillamook premium sour cream or 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded tillamook sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup rondele horseradish cheddar cheese
- 5 drops hot sauce
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter with cornflake crumbs.
- Press half of mixture into deep-dish pie pan or 2 ½- quart baking dish.
- Set aside remaining mixture.
- Cut Pepper Jack Cheese into 8 pieces that are ½ x 2 ¾ inches each.
- Fit each piece of cheese into a whole chile and arrange in prepared baking dish.
- Shred the remaining Pepper Jack Cheese and set aside.
- Cut remaining chiles into strips.
- Reserve for garnish or other use.
- Place rack in center of oven;. preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil &. add 2½ teaspoons or less of salt and pasta and cook according to package directions, stirring occasionally.
- Pasta is done when it is slightly chewy to the bite or al dente.
- Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan add milk, sour cream and remaining cheeses.
- Over low heat, stir frequently until cheese is melted and the sauce is blended and smooth.
- Remove from heat and fold in hot sauce and pasta.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Top with remaining cornflake mixture and garnish with reserved chile strips if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and top begins to brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.