2008 Tillamook Macaroni and Cheese Contest, Rhonda Allen - Lake Oswego, Oregon - 2008 Second Runner-Up.Very interesting dish and tastes great! However, have tweaked it a bit. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups corn flake crumbs
- 12 ounces tillamook monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained and patted dry
- 1 1/2 cups mini penne pasta
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup tillamook premium sour cream or 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded tillamook sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup rondele horseradish cheddar cheese
- 5 drops hot sauce
- 1In a medium bowl combine melted butter with cornflake crumbs.
- 2Press half of mixture into deep-dish pie pan or 2 ½- quart baking dish.
- 3Set aside remaining mixture.
- 4Cut Pepper Jack Cheese into 8 pieces that are ½ x 2 ¾ inches each.
- 5Fit each piece of cheese into a whole chile and arrange in prepared baking dish.
- 6Shred the remaining Pepper Jack Cheese and set aside.
- 7Cut remaining chiles into strips.
- 8Reserve for garnish or other use.
- 9Place rack in center of oven;. preheat oven to 350°F.
- 10In a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil &. add 2½ teaspoons or less of salt and pasta and cook according to package directions, stirring occasionally.
- 11Pasta is done when it is slightly chewy to the bite or al dente.
- 12Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- 13In a heavy bottomed medium saucepan add milk, sour cream and remaining cheeses.
- 14Over low heat, stir frequently until cheese is melted and the sauce is blended and smooth.
- 15Remove from heat and fold in hot sauce and pasta.
- 16Pour into baking dish.
- 17Top with remaining cornflake mixture and garnish with reserved chile strips if desired.
- 18Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and top begins to brown.
- 19Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tillamook Mac and Cheese Chile Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.1
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 97.4 mg
- Sodium 467.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
horseradish cheddar cheese