This is from the Tillamook Cheese Factory - some of the best cheese in the world!!!!! Of course I'm biased cause they're in my home state :-) This is my fave beer cheese soup -- you can use other cheese, just make sure it's extra sharp!
- Heat butter in sauté pan.
- Add flour and cook on low heat.
- Stir mixture until it starts to bubble.
- Do not allow to brown.
- Pull off fire and set aside.
- Heat milk in sauce pan until it is just ready to boil.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and crushed chilies.
- Stir mixture until just before boiling.
- Add half of flour/butter mixture (Roux) and stir with wire whisk until at a low simmer.
- Additional Roux may be added to thicken.
- Stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Turn down heat and add cheese and beer.
- Stir to allow cheese to melt.
- Texture should be smooth to the touch.
- May be reheated on low temperature.
- (Do not boil.).