Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy, quick and inexpensive; fairly healthy as long as you don't go overboard on the butter - you can half the amount of butter or replace with Smart Balance or the like to cut down on the sat fat and still get the same flavor. I prefer Andy's fish fry, but Zatarain's plain works well also. I've changed the amount of lemon from the original also; I'm used to starting 2 lbs of fish and forgot to convert down to 6 servings.
- 6 tilapia fillets
- 236.59 ml fish-fry mix
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter or 59.16 ml Smart Balance butter spread
- 1 large lemon
- 236.59 ml milk
- 29.58 ml light olive oil
- Prep the tilapia - Defrost in package, if necessary, rinse and place in glass or plastic bowl. Cover with milk and set aside for 30 minute to soak out as much of the strong flavor as possible - the milk will turn pink.
- Using a microplane, zest the lemon, removing as much as possible without getting any of the pith. Juice the lemon and set both the juice and zest aside.
- Preheat an electric skillet to 375°F.
- Remove the tilapia from the milk and discard the milk. Lightly bread the fish with the fish fry. Add a small amount of olive oil to the skillet and distribute evenly. Place the filets in the oil and fry until the fish is just flaky and the breading is a medium brown.
- While the fish is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan. add the lemon zest and stir until combined. Whisk in the lemon juice until fully incorporated. You can add more fresh not-from-concentrate lemon juice to taste.
- Remove the cooked filets from the skillet, drain on a paper towel. Plate the fish and drizzle the sauce over to taste. Serve with risotto or pilaf and a green vegetable such as asparagus or broccoli.
My six year old son prepared this tilapia dish for us tonight. He did everything except for the frying. It was FANTASTIC! Unbelievably yummy. I wanted to take a photo but I ate it all up immediately. Thank you for this recipe. My son is going to make it for us again next week!
Easy to follow, easy to do & yummy. This recipe does include a lot of lemon. Not for those who don't like lemon. This was the first time I cooked tilapia and I was extremely pleased. Our family enjoyed it!