Recipe by mailbelle
Sauteed tilapia on a salad made with fresh pineapple, Roma tomatoes and sweet onions. This was in the "Desperation Dinners" section of our local newspaper.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunk
- 1 medium roma tomato
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
Directions See How It's Made
- For pineapple salad, cut pineapple chunks into fourths and place in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Core tomato but do not peel it. Finely dice tomato, and add to bowl along with diced onion.
- Finely mince garlic, and add.
- Add cilantro and lime juice, and stir to blend well. Set aside (salad can be made and refrigerated up to 2 hours ahead).
- Heat oil in an extra-deep 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a gallon-size zipper-top bag. Add fish fillets, and shake to lightly coat them.
- Place fillets in hot oil, raise heat to medium-high, and saute until fish is lightly browned and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove skillet from heat.
- To serve, spoon a thin bed of pineapple salad in the center of each of four dinner plates, reserving about 1/4 cup for garnish.
- Place a fish fillet over salad on each plate, and garnish with reserved salad. Serve immediately.