Adapted from Everyday Italian, the flavors are heavenly in this dish! I recommend(from reading reviewers advise) that you double the sauce!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 4 -8 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 (6 ounce) skinless tilapia fillets
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the butter and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium low heat just until the butter is melted, stirring frequently. Add the anchovies, if using, and stir until the anchovies dissolve, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the orange juice, basil, and lemon and orange zests. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt.
- The bagna cauda sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm it before using.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and brush both sides of the fish with the remaining 4-8 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil. Working in 2 batches, fry the fish until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer fish to platter. Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while cooking the second batch of fish. Drizzle the sauce over and around the fish and serve. Enjoy!
Update: We have this recipe at least twice every month. It is wonderful. I serve it with pasta Aoli. This recipe is outstanding if you like Bagna Cauda. This is very quick and the flavor is awesome. I served it with steamed broccoli and ciabatta bread Ciabatta (Italian Slipper Bread) to get all the juices. I did substitute lemon juice for the orange juice. You must try this recipe.
All of the prior reviews here are correct. Heavenly is right! Yes, you cannot tell, so, if you are an anchovy avoider, do not leave them out. Made half the fish but the same amount of sauce but used extra anchovy fillets. I agree that would not be enough sauce for 6 fillets. Double it if you are making that many,
Simply delicious, light and healthy.