1/1 Photo of Tilapia Tamales #RSC
1 hr 40 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. Unwrap these flavorful tamales to discover the surprise filling - a flaky, perfectly cooked tilapia fillet. The tilapia is surrounded with chile pepper cream cheese, red peppers, green onions, and a sweet masa dough made with fresh corn. Fresh vegetables and healthy fish together in one savory foil-wrapped package - what could be better?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb tilapia fillet (4 small fillets)
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup masa corn flour (harina de maiz)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon red chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- Reynolds Wrap Foil (Non-Stick)
- 1Sprinkle the tilapia fillets with the juice of one lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to assemble tamales.
- 2Make the masa dough for the tamales: Beat one stick of butter with 2 tablespoons sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat until mixture is smooth.
- 3Place the corn kernels in a food processor or blender with the buttermilk and the salt and process until smooth. Add corn to the butter/egg mixture and beat until well blended.
- 4Stir the baking powder into the masa (harina de maiz). Add dry ingredients to the corn/butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Set aside.
- 5Whisk together the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, lime juice and red chile sauce to taste.
- 6Assemble tamales: Place a 7 by 12 inch rectangle of Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick foil on the counter, with the non-stick side facing up.
- 7Spread about 1/3 cup of the corn masa dough into a 3 x 5 inch rectangle in the center of the foil. Spread 1 tablespoon of the chile cream cheese mixture on top of the masa, and top with 1 tablespoon each chopped red pepper and green onions. Place one tilapia flillet on top of the cream cheese and vegetables, and spread another tablespoon of the chile cream cheese over the fish. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with another 1/3 cup masa, and spread it to cover the filling.
- 8Fold one short end of the foil up over the filling. Fold the two long sides in over the filling. There will be one end that is still open. Lift the tamale with the open end facing upwards and twist foil to close that end.
- 9Make 3 more tamales in the same way.
- 10Place tamales in a steamer basket, and place the basket over a pot with 2 inches of simmering water. Tamales should not touch the water. Cover tightly with a lid and steam tamales for 1 hour, checking water level from time to time.
- 11Let tamales cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- 12Tamales can be made ahead and reheated in the oven or in a steamer. Unwrap tamales before reheating them in the microwave. This recipe makes 4 large tamales. You can divide the filling into smaller portions to make 8-10 smaller tamales, or even 16 appetizer-size tamales.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tilapia Tamales #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.1
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 1431.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili sauce