Recipe by blazes
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. Unwrap these flavorful tamales to discover the surprise filling - a flaky, perfectly cooked tilapia fillet. The tilapia is surrounded with chile pepper cream cheese, red peppers, green onions, and a sweet masa dough made with fresh corn. Fresh vegetables and healthy fish together in one savory foil-wrapped package - what could be better?
- 1⁄2 lb tilapia fillet (4 small fillets)
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup masa corn flour (harina de maiz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon red chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Reynolds Wrap Foil (Non-Stick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the tilapia fillets with the juice of one lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to assemble tamales.
- Make the masa dough for the tamales: Beat one stick of butter with 2 tablespoons sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Place the corn kernels in a food processor or blender with the buttermilk and the salt and process until smooth. Add corn to the butter/egg mixture and beat until well blended.
- Stir the baking powder into the masa (harina de maiz). Add dry ingredients to the corn/butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Set aside.
- Whisk together the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, lime juice and red chile sauce to taste.
- Assemble tamales: Place a 7 by 12 inch rectangle of Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick foil on the counter, with the non-stick side facing up.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the corn masa dough into a 3 x 5 inch rectangle in the center of the foil. Spread 1 tablespoon of the chile cream cheese mixture on top of the masa, and top with 1 tablespoon each chopped red pepper and green onions. Place one tilapia flillet on top of the cream cheese and vegetables, and spread another tablespoon of the chile cream cheese over the fish. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with another 1/3 cup masa, and spread it to cover the filling.
- Fold one short end of the foil up over the filling. Fold the two long sides in over the filling. There will be one end that is still open. Lift the tamale with the open end facing upwards and twist foil to close that end.
- Make 3 more tamales in the same way.
- Place tamales in a steamer basket, and place the basket over a pot with 2 inches of simmering water. Tamales should not touch the water. Cover tightly with a lid and steam tamales for 1 hour, checking water level from time to time.
- Let tamales cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Tamales can be made ahead and reheated in the oven or in a steamer. Unwrap tamales before reheating them in the microwave. This recipe makes 4 large tamales. You can divide the filling into smaller portions to make 8-10 smaller tamales, or even 16 appetizer-size tamales.