Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A classic meunier is simply a mild white fish seasoned and lightly dredged in flour, sauteed in butter and garnished with chopped parsley. In this recipe, the addition of lemon brightens the flavor. A handful of toasted stale breadcrumbs can be added to the lemon-butter mixture to create a slightly more substantial sauce with a note of toasty flavor.
- 6 tilapia fillets
- 9.85 ml salt
- 44.37 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 118.29 ml butter, 4-oz (1 stick)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, peeled and cut into segments
- 44.37 ml capers (optional)
- Rinse fillets and pat dry. In small bowl combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour the dry mixture out onto a plate and dredge each fillet, lightly covering all surfaces; set aside. Cut stick butter into 1 oz. pats; set aside.
- Heat 1/3 of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 fillets (or more, just don't crowd skillet surface) in skillet and saute for several minutes on each side. Remove fillets from skillet, place on plate, and sprinkle with 1/3 parsley. Set in your oven as the remaining heat of fillet will crisp the fresh parsley. Repeat until all fillets are cooked.
- Pour off the oil and wipe skillet dry. Return skillet to heat and begin melting butter, 1 oz at a time until bubbling hot, but not brown. Quickly add the lemon juice and slices (capers if using); stir gently in the skillet until combined and warm. Pour over fillets and serve.
This had a great flavor! However I was multitasking and used 1/2 cup lemon juice by mistake - we had to scrape off the sauce and lovely thin breading. Even with that the fish had a good flavor, and the coating was beautiful. Will definitely make it again, and leave a proper review with stars next time :D
WOW! is all I can say... what a delicious recipe... it was simple and the taste is out of this world good! The capers are a must! I paired this with baby spinach sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and a touch of lemon juice. also rice that was cooked in chicken stock with chopped parsley ... very good.. in fact I'm thinking of making it again this week!! its a keeper everyone.. a gotta try !
Excellent! Not only was it easy, but it was delicious. Don't leave out the capers.....they add so much! We had this with a little yellow rice and broccoli with thyme. Wonderful, light meal. Thank you for a easy flavorful dish!