1/1 Photo of Tilapia Corn Chowder
This light soup is a great way to slip corn and tilapia(of course)into your late-summer menu. Make it a meal; enjoy with a green salad & tomatoes a nice vinaigrette and of course oyster crackers. We made this soup and it was delicious! **However, the recipe said it was low in calories 288 and when zaar figured it out it came to be 324** Now, the question is - which one is right? Posted on August 13, 2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces bacon (about 2 slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1 1/2 lbs tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 1Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- 2Add oil & cooking spray to the pan.
- 3Add celery, leek, onion, mushrooms, salt, black pepper, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes(if using) and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add broth, potatoes and corn.
- 5Bring to a gentle simmer.
- 6Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- 7Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer.
- 8Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more.
- 9Remove from the heat.
- 10Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon.
- 11Garnish with chives, if using.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tilapia Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (2611 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.4
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.1 mg
- Sodium 413.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 30.8 g