I designed this delicious and attractive, easy to prepare dish for a friend's end of the summer party. It is a healthy, non-toxic forming* and completely digestive, complete protein meal. It is also low calorie and coordinates with BodyKnowledge-tm Intelligent Eating Plans (*see my profile for more info). Great for parties, families and weight management! Serve with steamed vegetables for added nutritional value.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb of fresh tilapia fillet
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 medium orange bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 medium red onions, cubed or diced
- 3 -4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- sliced baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (approximately)
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (approximately)
- 1To make the Lemon-Basil Marinade, place ingredients into a blender and puree.
- 2In a large skillet, brown half of chopped garlic in approximately 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3Paint one side of the tilapia with lemon-basil marinade using a pastry brush.
- 4Then, sprinkle with lemon pepper or pepper.
- 5Place the painted side of the tilapia into the skillet and paint the other side, add lemon pepper or pepper.
- 6Cook on a low-medium flame until fish becomes browned.
- 7Cook other side.
- 8Cooking time is approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- 9If you cover the pan, your fish will have more of a moist consistency.
- 10If you leave the pan uncovered, your fish will be flakier.
- 11This is strictly a matter of preference.
- 12Both ways are delicious.
- 13Prepare your salad in a large bowl while fish cooks.
- 14Mix in Italian Seasoning and drizzle with sesame oil.
- 15In the same pan you cooked the fish, brown the rest of your chopped garlic with onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 16Add bell peppers and stir in poultry seasoning.
- 17Cook on a medium flame until peppers are slightly browned at edges and have a glazed look to them.
- 18Be careful not to over cook your peppers.
- 19You want a firm to medium-firm texture for maximum nutritional value and flavor.
- 20You can cover your pan to speed cooking time without damaging the quality of the peppers.
- 21When peppers are done, put them in a bowl, cover with a paper towel and place them in the freezer for approximately 10 minutes.
- 22This will rapidly cool the cooking process so the heat will not wilt your greens when you add the peppers to the salad mixture.
- 23Using a fork, flake the tilapia and mix with the peppers into your salad.
- 24Serve immediately.
- 25For best results, your fish and peppers should be a warm to room temperature served over lightly chilled greens.
- 26Notes: 1 medium lemon yields 2-3 tablespoons of juice 5-6 lemons will yield 1 cup of juice.
- 27You can cube or dice the bell peppers and onions.
- 28It is a matter of preference and the recipe is still delicious.
- 29You can substitute the red onions with scallions or onions of your choice.
- 30When in a hurry, I sometimes use 1/2 to 3/4 cups of dehydrated onions from an organic, dried onion soup mix.
- 31Separate the powder from the dehydrated onions and brown the onions with garlic, then add bell peppers.
- 32When purchasing poultry seasoning (and onion soup mix) it is always healthier to choose no-salt or low-salt products.
- 33I like Bells Poultry Seasoning, but there are many other brands that do not add salt or chemical additives.
- 34You can use any type of lettuce you like.
- 35I often use mesclun greens, baby spinach, and/or a mixture of red leaf, green leaf and romaine.
- 36Be creative!
- 37I make large amounts of lemon-basil marinade and refrigerate for future use.
- 38Batches usually last in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
- 39Instead of using sesame oil, you can use a salad dressing with ingredients that compliment the meals flavor scheme.
- 40For those of you following BodyKnowledge-tm Intelligent Eating Plans, the carrots are mild-starch vegetables and can be omitted.
- 41Bon appetit!
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tilapia Confetti Salad
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.4
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 90.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 27.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: