Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tilapia is a WONDERFUL good tasting fish. This is a GREAT and EASY way to prepare it.
- 4 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets (or other firm-fleshed whitefish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 green onions (white and green parts, finely chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons dark maple syrup
- slivered almonds (to garnish) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 banana leaves or 4 parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Place a fillet on each banana leaf or a piece of parchment paper and divide mixture evenly amongst them, spreading the mixture over the top of each fillet.
- Fold each banana leaf, or the paper, over to form a packet around each fillet and seal the edge of each packet with a small piece of aluminum foil, crimping it tightly.
- Place on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and the wrapping. Lightly brush off most of the topping and sprinkle a few slivered almonds on top of each fillet for garnish if desired.
- Serve with stir-fried Chinese vegetables.
Nice slightly sweet flavor and so easy to prepare! I used parchment paper and added a little olive oil to the mixture as well. Thanks!
This was great and easy fish. The list of ingredients is not something I always have on hand, but now that I do, I will use them for sure!!! Very moist and flakey. Made with Dan Dan noodles for Chinese New Year
I don't think that in China, aluiminum foil is used to aid in the cooking with banana leaves. Sorry.