Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A great mexican take on roasted turkey!
- 15 lbs turkey
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning mix
- 2 (5 7/8 ounce) boxes Spanish rice mix, prepared
- 8 -12 frozen burritos
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) packages dry enchilada mix
- 27 ounces whole green chilies
- Prepare turkey for roasting. Rub with mixture of the olive oil, minced onion, basil, garlic salt, chili powder, cumin and fajita seasoning. Roast to 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and gather turkey drippings. Prepare enchilada sauce as directed, substituting turkey drippings for part of the water.
- Stuff turkey with the spanish rice (I use Rice-a-Roni brand prepared with 2 chopped celery stalks and 1 diced onion. I only simmer it for the first 10 or so minutes to allow further cooking in the turkey).
- Split mild green chiles and lay over breast and legs.
- Lay frozen burritos (can also use fajitas or tamales) in roasting pan around turkey.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the turkey and burritos. Cover with foil and roast approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour, until turkey internal temperature has reached at least 165 again.