Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Got this from a local radio station. Works very well on a buffet.
Make and share this Tijuana Train Wreck recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 can tomato sauce
- 3 cans tomato paste
- 3 -4 cups water
- chopped tomato
- chopped lettuce
- chopped green pepper
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- plain Doritos
- Simply brown meat and drain.
- Place all SAUCE ingredients in crockpot inclucing browned meat and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8, stirring occasionally.
- Serve each plate in this order (bottom to top): Doritoes on bottom, Meat, Sauce, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Cheddar cheese and sour cream for topping.
This is so easy to make and because it is mostly done in the crockpot ahead of time, can be on the table in minutes. I added about 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes as well to spice it up even more. I also used a mixture of cheddar and jack cheese and popped the dish in the microwave for just a few seconds to melt the cheese. This is a keeper. It's simple enough that even the kids can make it, so it's going into their cookbooks as well.
It has been a challenge to get my son to eat something besides bread and cheese since he was very young. It is not as bad as it used to be but he is by far the pickiest eater in my family. So when he likes something new, it goes down in the record book. He loved this, riffraff. We all loved it but it is more noteworthy to me because he loved it. I used 2 t. dried oregano, 1/2 t. cumin and 1/2 of a 15 oz. can tomato sauce. We each liked different toppings so we could please ourselves. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Love these nachos with beef sauce and toppings! I added some jalapeno to the sauce.