Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A take along snack, whether I'm heading south to hit the surf or here locally. Easy to grab and run. Cook time includes cool and bag time
- 3 cups Crispix cereal
- 4 cups tortilla chips, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bag microwave popcorn, popped
- 1 (12 ounce) cancocktail mixed nuts
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to your taste)
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine cereal, chips, popcorn and nuts in a large roasting pan.
- Heat to boiling in a small saucepan; corn syrup, butter or margarine, sugar, chili powder, cinnamon and red pepper.
- Stir frequently Pour over cereal mixture in roasting pan, stirring to coat well.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wax paper.
- Place in sandwich size plastic bags.
First of all I started snacking on this during the stirring breaks while it was still in the oven. Then when I poured it out onto the waxed paper I started nibbling freely and couldn't stop. Then I took a bite to my DD who immediately grabbed a bowl, filled it, ran to her room and closed the door. I made this for the guys to eat tomorrow during a big game, but I think I'll have to make another batch tonight so they'll have something to eat! This is a taste explosion. It's salty, sweet, and a little spicy all rolled into one. I used an extra cup of tortilla chips and Crispix as debra suggested in her review, and held back a little on the nuts. I think next time I'll either use almonds only or even give pretzels a try instead of the mixed nuts, as we're not huge nut fans in general. Thanks for a super recipe. I'd give it way more than 5 stars if I could! I'm making this every week for the rest of my life! :-)
I have made this recipe over a dozen times since I first saw it. My family and friends are crazy over this snack. I have been using the smaller, 2 inch tortilla round chips and do not break them. I also add 1 more cup Crispix and chips. There's plenty of liquid to coat evenly. Again, this is positively terrific.
Where has this been all my life?! That's what I said when I tasted this wonderful snack mix. I thought the liquid was just enough for the amount of dry ingredients called for, so i would not add more cereal or chips, but I have an enormous sweet tooth. However, I will probably use half a can of nuts next time. And there will be lots of next times. Thanks Peachez for this terrific recipe!