From "Sunset Crockery Cookbook"
Make and share this Tijuana Hoppin' John (Crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 2 quarts water, plus
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dried chipotle chiles or 1 canned chipotle chile
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- Rinse and sort through peas.
- In a deep 3 1/2 to 4 quart pan, bring 2 quarts of the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add peas.
- Let water return to a boil; then boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rise peas, discarding cooking water.
- In a 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, green chiles, cumin, pepper, baking soda, and chipotle chile.
- Stir in peas; pour in remaining 3 cups water.
- Cover and cook at low setting until peas are tender and to bite (9 to 10 hours).
- Remove and discard chipotle chile; stir in rice and tomatoes.
- Increase cooker setting to high; cover and cook until rice is tender to bite (45 to 55 more minutes).
- Season to taste with salt.
Thanks Mercy, I could not stop "tasting" it , did need more spice and that did the trick. Loved it HelenFl.
Wow! Hubby has recently been advised to change to a lowfat diet. I found this and the whole picky bunch loved it. We did added 16 ounces of diced ham steak to the pot to changed it up a bit.
Very easy to make. Overall we thought this was good, but I was surprised to find that this wasn't at all spicy, and was actually kind of bland. I even left the chipotle chili in instead of removing it. We added more cumin to it, along with black & cayenne pepper. Thank you for posting this!