Tigua Indian Definitive Bowl of Red
- In a big pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add in beef; cook until browned.
- Add in salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, tomato sauce, and 1 ½ cups water; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil; decrease heat to a low simmering boil and cook, partially covered, for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add in masa harina mixture; return to low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Serve with beans, rice, or bread on the side: all useful for muffling the heat.
- Also helpful is a tablespoon of sour cream.