Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Inexpensive and very tasty. Makes a very nice, almost carmelized sauce on its own. If I cant afford organic chicken then I go to Wegmans and they have a "Food You Feel Good About" line of foods , and the meats have no hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, etc... I get a pack of 8 chicken drumsticks for 2 dollars or less to make this dish. Most of the ingredients are things usually found around the house. I usually use more garlic for my 3 yr old who likes extra on everything. Hope it works for you.
- 8 chicken drumsticks, thighs or 8 pieces chicken
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in wedges and unpeeled
- 6 cipollini onions or 1 vidalia onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Place chicken, potatoes and onions in a pyrex casserole baking dish, or other suitable oven proof dish.
- Squeeze lemon over all pieces of chicken, potatoes and onion.
- Sprinkle chicken, potatoes and onion with spices.
- Cut up butter and place around meat and vegetables.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 2 - 3 hours or until chicken and potatoes are done.
Excellent chicken dish ~ we really enjoyed this. I did make it with one in chicken breasts as they were on sale this week and I used the Vidalia onion as I couldn't find cipollini's. A nice meal on a cold winter night. Thanks for posting this jennifer. Made for Zaar Cookbooks Tag.
This is such a great recipe. I usually have all the ingredients on hand to make this and when I'm in a hurry I turn the oven up to 350 and it takes a little over an hour to make. I use 1 clove of fresh chopped garlic (plus the power) and sprinkle some basil and oregano as well. So flavorful! Wish I would have found this one a while back as I am always on a tight budget. :)
Have loved this recipe since I found it here five years ago! Thank You!