Recipe by Thorsten
This is an easy and fast way to combine shrimps and pasta in a mediterranean styled light dish. I always have some shrimps in the freezer and all other ingredients on hand. The flavor of anchovy filets and the fresh thyme are going well together with shrimps and pasta. I do not cook tomatoes, I only heat them. This will support their sweet flavor. Use full ripe tomatoes for best results. Serve with some white bread and your favorite salad. With a glas of dry white wine this recipe will bring the summer into your house.
Top Review by Annacia
This gets full marks from me and I'm stingy with 5 stars. I made it in the amounts given but added a extra shrimp and it was a good sized meal for two of us with a green salad. I used a pinch of Splenda and that was fine. This was simple to follow and looked as good as it tasted even though I had to use dried thyme. I appreciated that it was on the dried side and not swimming in in sauce. Shrimp is a treat I have seldom and I always want to prepare it in a manner that allows it to shine as the star on the plate and not be hidden by other,masking, flavors. I'm a happy shrimp lover.
- 5 tiger shrimp
- 3 1⁄2 ounces spaghetti or 3 1⁄2 ounces ribbon pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spaghetti or ribbon pasta 'al dente' according to package directions. Drain, but not rinse.
- Meanwhile heat olive in a small pot to medium high heat. Add tiger shrimps and cook on each side for about 1 minute. Take shrimps out, drain and peel.
- Cook onions and the whole peeled garlic in the same oil for about 1 minute until onions are tender. Add anchovy filets and crush them. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes and thyme. Do not cook. Tomatoes should only be heated through. Season with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add peeled tiger shrimps and heat through for about 5 minutes.
- Remove garlic clove and add drained noodles or pasta. Mix well, cover and let rest for 2 minutes. Serve.
- NOTE: I use garlic only to flavor the tomato sauce. But if you like you can mince 1/2 of the garlic clove and leave it in the sauce.
- NOTE: If you like the sweet taste of tomatoes you can use up to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to bring it up even more.
- NOTE: If you like more sauce add 1-2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.