Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy and fast way to combine shrimps and pasta in a mediterranean styled light dish. I always have some shrimps in the freezer and all other ingredients on hand. The flavor of anchovy filets and the fresh thyme are going well together with shrimps and pasta. I do not cook tomatoes, I only heat them. This will support their sweet flavor. Use full ripe tomatoes for best results. Serve with some white bread and your favorite salad. With a glas of dry white wine this recipe will bring the summer into your house.
- Cook spaghetti or ribbon pasta 'al dente' according to package directions. Drain, but not rinse.
- Meanwhile heat olive in a small pot to medium high heat. Add tiger shrimps and cook on each side for about 1 minute. Take shrimps out, drain and peel.
- Cook onions and the whole peeled garlic in the same oil for about 1 minute until onions are tender. Add anchovy filets and crush them. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes and thyme. Do not cook. Tomatoes should only be heated through. Season with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add peeled tiger shrimps and heat through for about 5 minutes.
- Remove garlic clove and add drained noodles or pasta. Mix well, cover and let rest for 2 minutes. Serve.
- NOTE: I use garlic only to flavor the tomato sauce. But if you like you can mince 1/2 of the garlic clove and leave it in the sauce.
- NOTE: If you like the sweet taste of tomatoes you can use up to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to bring it up even more.
- NOTE: If you like more sauce add 1-2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
This gets full marks from me and I'm stingy with 5 stars. I made it in the amounts given but added a extra shrimp and it was a good sized meal for two of us with a green salad. I used a pinch of Splenda and that was fine. This was simple to follow and looked as good as it tasted even though I had to use dried thyme. I appreciated that it was on the dried side and not swimming in in sauce. Shrimp is a treat I have seldom and I always want to prepare it in a manner that allows it to shine as the star on the plate and not be hidden by other,masking, flavors. I'm a happy shrimp lover.
Ahhh Thorsten! My fellow fish lover. I have noticed your delicious seafood recipes always use fresh ingredients with minimal cooking. Why do people think fish must be cooked to death? The two minutes for the shrimp to cook is right on! I followed the cooking directions exactly but added more anchovies and also added some capers because I love capers with tomatoes. I served this over angel hair with crusty garlic bread. I even put away my Grey Goose and had a glass of wine as you suggested. Fresh, flavorful, simplistic dish.
I just made this for my family and a guest. I really liked it. It was the first time I made a homemade "sauce" to eat with spaghetti and I was really impressed with it. I did not put in the achovies because we don't like them and I cut down on the sugar. My husband liked it but said to cut down on the garlic next time and he would add some cayenne for some spice. He likes spicy food alot. Our guest actually gave it 3 1/2 stars. Well I would definitely make it again.