A fabulous summer meal, marinade the meat and make the dressing the night before then throw dinner together FAST. Excellent for casual dinner parties and dieters. I've had this mouth-watering salad at a couple of different Thai restaurants, I was unable to find a recipe so I combined several to make my own. This salad is very spicy yet the bursts of freshness from the lime and mint make it a celebration for the taste buds. It's extremely addictive and very healthy, no oil!
- 1 lb beef flank steak or 1 lb beef sirloin steaks or 1 lb beef tenderloin (good quality)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons fish sauce (to taste)
- 4 -6 shallots, minced
- 4 -6 serrano peppers, chilis very finely minced or ground to paste
- 2 stalks lemongrass, remove outer stalk and slice very thin or grind
- 3 tablespoons toasted rice powder (ground fine)
- 1 lb fresh tender salad greens (I use the bagged spring mix) or 1 lb bibb lettuce
- 1 large red onion, thinly slivered
- 1 bunch scallions or 1 bunch green onion, cut to ½ inch
- 1 cucumber, peeled & seeded cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes or wedges tomato
- 1 lemon, cut in half lengthwise and very thinly sliced (toss into salad for garnish/flavor)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaf, roughly chopped
- sticky rice
- prepare a batch of thai sticky rice (aka thai sweet rice) to serve with this salad.
- note: if you're in a hurry or on a budget, you can leave out the scallions, cuke, tomatoes,& lemon and this salad will retain it's signature flavor.
- Marinade: Mix ingredients in a ziploc and let meat marinade from 2-24 hours in liquid.
- Char grill or broil meat to med rare, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Let rest at least 10 minutes then slice VERY thin (1/4" or less) against the grain.
- *Usevery good quality meat for this dish, you want it to be fork-tender and melt-in-your-mouth!
- Dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together 1+ hours before serving salad.
- (Be sure to taste and make any necessary adjustments dressing should be SPICY, Sour, Salty and a just a wee bit Sweet in that order) You may want to make extra dressing to spoon over the sticky rice.
- Salad: Pour half of dressing over the red onions, lemon and cuke in a LARGE salad bowl and let them absorb the flavor, 15+ minutes.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and MINT along with the rest of the dressing.
- Toss the salad until all ingredients are very well coated and mixed.
- Dish Salad onto plates and top with slices of cooked beef, make sure plenty of dressing is included in each serving.
- Add a serving of sticky rice to each plate.
- Serving Suggestion: Very pretty to serve this salad on a bed of Purple Cabbage Leaves.
- Perfect Sticky Rice: Soak 1-2 pounds of Thai Sweet Rice in lukewarm water in a large bowl for 3 hours- drain& reserve water to use in steaming.
- Line bottom of bamboo steamer (the stackable sort used for veggies and such) with parchment paper (or cheesecloth sprayed with Pam).
- Fill steamer with soaked rice and cover.
- Pour rice soaking water into wok or dutch oven, add some fresh water until approx 3" depth.
- Place steamer over water in pan, bring water to boil then reduce to strong simmer-- don't let water cook away.
- Steam rice for approx 25 minutes, let sit an additional 5 minutes with lid on.
- To Make Toasted Rice Powder: Toast raw sweet rice in a saute pan on top of stove just as you would sesame seeds-- until very light golden brown.
- Use a coffee grinder, blender or food processor to grind to a fine consistency- I like mine fine as white sugar but any testure from cous cous, cornmeal, flour, etc is just fine.
- Adds an interesting, nutty and essential flavor to the dressing.