Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
This version of the famous Indian Chaat (pronounce with the emphasis on the "aa", as in "aarmy") doesn't really do justice to it, but it sure is yummy anyway! (Chaat is a type of salad famous in the roadside food stalls in North India, particularly in Delhi, the capital of India) Mom concocted this recipe to stop me from eating junk in the evenings, and boy, it worked! This tastes very different if you use chaat masala (a spice blend), than if you don't, so if you like Indian food, do yourself a favour and buy some chaat masala! :) Note: Cook time does not include time for boiling the potatoes... use leftovers!
- 1⁄3 cup peeled and sliced/chopped cucumber
- 1⁄3 cup boiled diced potato (You can use leftover boiled potatoes)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped tomato
- 2 -4 tablespoons chilled plain yogurt (You can use low/non-fat varieties)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chat masala (use it for authenticity; available in Indian stores) (optional)
- Toss everything well in a serving bowl.
- Grab a fork or large spoon and eat immediately, or refrigerate until hunger strikes, and then eat!
- Feel extremely pleased with yourself that you snacked on this instead of that bag of chips you were eyeing.
- Proceed to eat several helpings of dessert after dinner as reward.
Anu, what an amazing mom you got there! U r such a lucky girl, you know!! Please give your mom a hug from me. This is so tasty(even without a pinch of salt or pepper!), so colourful, so enjoyable and yum! The other day I went and especially bought chaat masala to make this. I'm so glad I did that! I made 4 servings of this today and we all loved it! I'll make this plenty of times and tell your mom I said a very special THANK YOU to her, and, also that she's going to be getting lots of hiccups in the days to come;)!!!
Low Calorie - and guiltless. Lets face it - it's no tandoori chicken - but the blend of fresh veggie and spices hit the spot!
A very nice, simple and refreshing salad. I also added more Chaat Masala than called for in the recipe (as another reviewer suggested). Thanks! :)