Recipe by magpie diner
Found in a guide to Costa Rica, this makes a nice change from plain rice and is pretty simple to prepare. I tweaked slightly to use brown rice, most versions use white, and most versions use chicken broth. Use any way you would normally use cooked rice!
- 4 sprig fresh cilantro (put some aside for garnish)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper (use any colour but green)
- 14.79 ml canola oil (any neutral oil)
- 473.18 ml long grain brown rice
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 2.46 ml sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop cilantro, onion, and bell pepper very fine and set aside.
- Add the oil to a large pan and sauté the dry rice for 2 minutes over medium high flame then add the chopped onion, sweet pepper and cilantro and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the veggie broth and salt, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer until rice is tender (45-50 minutes).
- Top with some reserved cilantro.