Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found in a guide to Costa Rica, this makes a nice change from plain rice and is pretty simple to prepare. I tweaked slightly to use brown rice, most versions use white, and most versions use chicken broth. Use any way you would normally use cooked rice!
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro (put some aside for garnish)
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (use any colour but green)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (any neutral oil)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Chop cilantro, onion, and bell pepper very fine and set aside.
- Add the oil to a large pan and sauté the dry rice for 2 minutes over medium high flame then add the chopped onion, sweet pepper and cilantro and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the veggie broth and salt, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer until rice is tender (45-50 minutes).
- Top with some reserved cilantro.
So easy, and a great way to dress up rice. I had some yellow pepper left, so used that. Colorful and tasty. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 51
I made this in my rice cooker for real ease and clean up. I used parsley in place of the cilantro. DH doesn't like it. Go figure. But I did add cilantro as a garnish on my serving. Used basmati long grain brown rice.