Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was posted on a Yogi Tea box a few years ago. Similar to American twice baked potatoes but with a lot of different spices. I am thinking Chai, Tibetan buttered tea, black tea or a yogurt lassi would be good beverages to go with this. Also the best blackberries in the world are Himalyan blackberries - dessert!
- 4 large baking potatoes, like idaho bakers
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup oil (aka ghee) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup clarified butter (aka ghee)
- 2 -3 chopped onions
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup gingerroot, finely minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -4 tablespoons tamari (to taste) or 2 -4 tablespoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 pint cottage cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 red bell peppers, diced diced (optional) or 1 green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pineapple, drained (optional)
- Scrub potatoes, rub with small amount of oil, and bake at 400º until well.
- done. Heat clarified butter or oil in large skillet. Saute onions and.
- ginger until they begin to brown and then add garlic and spices and cook.
- for 4-5 minutes longer. Add a little water if necessary. Add tamari or salt.
- (opt.), stir and remove from heat. Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise,.
- scoop out insides, and combine with onion mixture. Add cottage.
- cheese(opt.). Mix well and refill potato shells covering each with grated.
- cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with bell pepper.
- and pineapple(opt.). Serve with yogurt.