1/3 Photos of Tibetan Momo (A Dim Sum Dumpling from Tibet)
Love dim sum, dumplings of all types and momo is excellent. Found the recipes at recipecottage after watching restaurant makeover and Chef Lynn's reaction to it. I actually use bison because of its leanness since i cannot find yak. Simple flavors but that is why it is important to use enough ginger and garlic. Test the momo by dropping a mini pea size ball into the oil and correct seasonings if needed. I like a strong ginger flavor. Will post ingredients for Sherpa Momo and Nepalese under directions as well, same dough and methods as the Tibetan. Go crazy and use vegetarian or whatever you like, but I think the first one is the best to try and get the authentic Tibetan taste to build on. If you want a dipping sauce with them, this seems like a good one: Simple Soy Dipping Sauce final serving amounts are guesstimates, depends on the size you make them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour with enough cold water to make a fairly stiff dough.
- 2Knead it well and roll small pieces into thin rounds,about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 3Mix meat, onion, garlic, soy sauce, ginger and salt together.
- 4Put a teaspoon of meat mixture in each little pancake and fold over. Pinch, flute or pleat the edges together so the momo looks like a half-moon or is round shaped.
- 5Lightly coat a bamboo or metal steamer with vegetable spray and arrange momo so they do not touch. Cover and steam over boiling water for l0-15 minutes.
- 6Momo also can be cooked in broth and served as a soup or fried.
- 7NEPALESE meat filling.
- 81 cup buffalo meat, ground or minced.
- 9l large onion, minced.
- 102-3 cloves garlic.
- 112.5 cm. piece ginger.
- 121/2 teaspoon salt.
- 131/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- 141/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 151 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter.
- 161/2 teaspoon cumin seed powder.
- 17oil or vegetable oil spray.
- 182 cups+ flour.
- 19SHERPA Meat Filling.
- 204 chicken breast halves,boneless, minced.
- 212 minced onions.
- 225 cloves garlic (or to taste), diced.
- 233 tbs ginger, to taste, or one large piece diced.
- 241-2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- 25salt, paper and accent to taste.
- 261 teaspoon garam masala (optional).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tibetan Momo (A Dim Sum Dumpling from Tibet)
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.7
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 507.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: