Recipe by Tish
This is a simple, healthy, and unusually spiced soup. It is really satisfying.
Top Review by Anu
Another recipe that FAR surpassed my expectations! The combination of ingredients in this recipe is absolutely wonderful and the spices compliment each other perfectly! The only change I made was in using fresh tomatoes instead of canned. This made a delicious dinner with bread and cheese. Thanks SO MUCH Tish! I'm gonna make this a lot!
- 354.88 ml dried lentils, rinsed
- 1419.54 ml water
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 709.77 ml undrained canned tomatoes
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 7.39 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the lentils and water to a boil, then reduce the hear, cover and simmer until tender- about 20 minutes Meanwhile, heat oil and saute the onions, garlic and chile for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, coriander and cumin and saute for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Remove from the heat and set aside When lentils are tender, coarsely chop the tomatoes right in the can and stir them into the soup pot.
- Add the chopped cilantro, salt, and sauteed vegetables.
- Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender.