2 hrs 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a restaurant in Lhasa, Tibet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (beef shin or beef brisket)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup beer (pale lager-style)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef for about 4 minutes, or until it is seared on all sides, then remove it from the pot.
- 2Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot over medium heat and sauté the carrot and onion for about 10 minutes, or until the onion turns slightly translucent. Add the water, beer, soy sauce, and beef to the pot. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat and simmer gently, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Add the tomatoes with their juice, the barley, butter, and mushrooms to the pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- 4Season with salt to taste and stir in the cilantro just before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tibetan Barley Beer Beef Soup
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.8
- Calories from Fat 583
- Total Fat 64.7 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 246.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 10.5 g