Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from a French exchange student who is staying with my parents for the year. I tried making it myself, and it is delicious! The dish contains every color of the rainbow and is as nice to look at as it is to eat. I add yellow squash to mine as well just to give more color.
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 88.74 ml olive oil, divided
- 2 large zucchini
- 3 large tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 44.37 ml breadcrumbs
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Put eggplant slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes to exude their bitter juices. Rinse well under running cold water and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute the sliced eggplant with the onions, sweet peppers, and garlic in 4 tablespoons of olive oil until golden.
- Spread the misture over the base of a shallow, ovenproof dish.
- Using a potato peeler, remove some of the peel in strips from the sides of the zucchini, leaving some vertical stripes of green.
- Slice the zucchini thinly. Slice the tomatoes. Arrange the zucchini and tomato slices in alternate rows over the top of the sauteed vegetable misture, overlapping like fish scales.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle rosemary and thyme.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top if you wish.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes until crisp and golden. Eat hot, warm, or cold.